Friday, October 1, 2010

First 1/2 Marathon

This Sunday I'll be doing my first 1/2 marathon ever, it is the 13.1 Marathon Series in Atlanta.  It should be a fun event, and even with some minor setbacks in training I should be ready to go.  I had to battle sinus congestion and a some minor foot pain during training, but didn't give up. 

I have been reading over Danny Dwyer's book ChiRunning again, and working with some of the focuses.  I have mostly been working on posture, even during the day at work.  I will check myself and adjust to be more straight and upright, even leveling the pelvis, which feels add after standing incorrectly for so many years.  I've also been working on my lean, and finding the comfort zone with that.  Relaxing my lower legs, especially the feet and ankles, trying to not have as much tension in them.  Working very hard on my foot strike being more in the midfoot.  Lastly working on breathing more through the nose.

Another issue that has come up is Marta, has changed it's train hours starting this week.  I will catch the first train out of Doraville at 5:55 and get to the Brookhaven station around 6:02, then have to go 1 mile north to Oglethorope.  The race starts at 7 so things are going to be tight with stretching and being warmed up well, and also having time to use the portajohn, and do bag check.  I prefer getting to a race like this at least an hour before start, to have my head on straight and be ready.  I am not sure about being so rushed, but I think things will be fine. 

The last few days I have been eating a lot of rice and quiona, along with sweet potatoes, fruit, espcially bananas, and various veggies of course, along with tofu.  Tomorrow I plan on having salad and soup, a big bowl of rice and quinoa, and having plenty of fruit again, nothing to heavy, but plenty of carbs for the big day.  I always kind of see what works good the day before a race, and see how I feel, as to how I adjust my diet.  No pasta though, I have never been a big pasta eater, and  have been actually eating less wheat gluten for a bit now, and it is good I like rice so much. 

After Sunday I will take it easy Monday and just lift, maybe bike a bit, and then Tuesday I have to crank it up a few notches for the Atlanta Half Marathon and then Charleston Marathon in January.  Plenty of other runs inbetween, mostly 5k's.

No comments:

Post a Comment